Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

fast food... cheap and not cheap

ok, the first time i went to mcdonalds here to get a quick meal (i'm not a fan of mcdonalds nor the way it makes me feel after eating it, bleh, but it can be a necessary evil) i was blown away by how expensive it was.


fast food as we envision it up in the states is NOT the same thing down here in brazil.


to elaborate on that, i tend to view fast food as a CHEAP and fast way to get a meal. of course there are more expensive places in the fast food industry in the states than others, but still... i'm not going to taco bell expecting to drop 20 or 30 bucks on just myself, unless i'm severely depressed and want to put myself into a food coma.


the thing is brazil has had their own version of fast food (they way we view fast food) for a long time. their version of is salgados... aka empanadas, pastel, pão de queijo, etc. this is where you go to get a quick and cheap meal. here you will spend anything from 1 real to 3 reais for a salgado. cheap.


mcdonalds, bobs, and other equivalents are viewed as something of a treat down here in brazil. people would NEVER live off of mcdonalds and/or other chain fast food restaurants as its just too expensive. for a combo meal at mcdonalds you can spend anywhere from 12 to 18 reais. (read my post on how your real spends)


for the same price, you could have a kings meal at a restaurant by the kilo.


in the states you would rarely hear the argument of not eating at fast food because its too expensive, unless of course you live off it. the argument is more of a health based one. here... its just expensive.


remember, if you want a cheap meal on the quick, hit up a pastelaria, padaria, empanaderia, or something in the same vain. its there that you'll start to see the prices and quickness of a fast food type establishment that you're accustomed to.

7 comments:

  1. I agree. When McDonald's first came to Brazil (my father-in-law built a number of them in Rio), it was close to a high-end restaurant. All the wealthy families would hold their birthday parties at McDonald's. Even now, though the quality of the food is as bad as the U.S., it's not the least expensive way to eat out. I've always found kilo restaurants to provide the best food at the best value.
    Born Again Brazilian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it is about the burgers at McDonalds in Brazil but I think they taste terrible and not anything like the US. No reason why since you can get a great burger here. Bob's or Girrafa's isn't any better. Subway is the biggest quality difference and inedible here. I suspect they are all being taxed to death as well. Pago pra kilo is a good model and I bet they are better at working at avoiding taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! My name is Malte Zeeck, and I am with InterNations.org. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog! I think expats in Brazil and around the world could really gain some great insights [and have a few good laughs] on this page. The quality of the blog in general is very convincing, which is why I would love to feature you and your writing on the Recommended Blog on Brazil section on InterNations.org
    Not only do we feature and link to your blog prominently; we also would like to hear from you directly in our questionnaire! We have also designed a link badge for your blog.

    If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email: maltezeeck@internations.org

    Best,
    Malte Zeeck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir or Madam,

    Some weeks ago - on 18.4.2012 – I posted a comment and I would very much appreciate a quick status update.
    I’m looking forward to your response.
    Kind Regards,
    Malte Zeeck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't you stop referring to Brazil as "down here"?

    ReplyDelete